In regards to the electrical safety of a property, landlords are required by law to ensure:
- Electrical installation in a rented property is safe when new tenants initially move in and is maintained to a safe standard throughout the duration of the let
- A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) has a periodic inspection carried out every 5 years
- If a property is not an HMO we still recommend that a periodic inspection and test is carried out by a registered electrician at least every 5 years.
- Any appliance provided is safe and has the CE marking
- As a landlord these requirements are met and that basic safety checks are carried out regularly ensuring electrical installation and appliances are safe and working
Landlords can be exposing themselves to significant financial risks, fines and invalidated insurance by simply not acting on electrical safety obligations. In addition, failure to uphold these obligations can put millions of UK private tenants at risk of serious accident or fire.
Things to consider
- Make sure that your property has adequate RCD protection
- Use a registered electrician for any work on your property
- Carry out regular safety checks on the electrical appliances provided as part of the rental agreement
- Download and read the “Home Electrical Safety Check” smartphone app
Electrical safety certification starts from;
£99.00 all on request.
Contact us TODAY for more information