Gas Certificate FAQ

LS Property Group banner (Gas cert FAQ)

How long will it take to receive my Gas Safety Certificate?

Once the inspection is done you will usually receive the certificate within 48 hours

How long is a Gas safety certificate valid for?

A gas safety check must be carried out on all applicable gas appliances every 12 months.

What is involved in the Gas Safe check procedures and how long will it take to carry out the test?

Our engineer will inspect all gas appliances. They will record their findings in the gas safety certificate with a note of any concerns. The inspection will last between 30 minutes and 1 hour.

What if the engineer identifies a problem with my gas appliance?

All Gas Safe registered engineers must follow the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) when assessing the risks of an unsafe gas appliance. This guidance provides “best practice” advice to engineers on how they should deal with different gas safety problems.

Do I have to use a gas safety engineer to complete gas work?

Yes. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations state that landlords must only use a Gas Safe registered engineer for maintenance and safety checks on gas equipment they own and provide for tenants use in domestic premises. Always ensure that the Gas Safe registered engineer is competent to work in that specific area of gas. With LS Property gas engineers; this will be clearly marked on the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe Register registration card.

Do all of my gas appliances have to be tested?

All Gas Appliances in the property owned by the landlord have to be tested during the inspection.

Should the landlord provide the tenant with a Carbon Monoxide CO2 alarm?

From October 2015 Landlords will be required by law to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties, under measures announced by Housing Minister Brandon Lewis (11 March 2015).

What should I do if the tenants heating and hot water is turned off?

If the gas safe registered engineer deems an appliance unsafe they will switch this appliance off. This action helps to ensure safety even if it is inconvenient for the tenant. If a heating appliance has been disconnected then you must provide your tenant with emergency heating, for more information on this contact your local authority. It is your responsibility to arrange appropriate remedial work by a gas Safe registered engineer.

What do I do if I am not the building owner but I am the landlord?

Arrangements with the building owner needs to ensure that any communal gas appliances, flues and pipework, which your tenants may use, are appropriately maintained and checked for safety by the building owner. You also need to ensure that evidence of these checks is available to you and your gas Safe registered engineer who is carrying out maintenance and annual checks in your property.

Can I delegate responsibility to tenants for maintenance and gas safety checks?

No. Your tenant has a duty not to use an appliance they believe to be dangerous. Further, a tenancy agreement, such as a full repairing and insuring lease, cannot be used to transfer these responsibilities to a tenant.

What will happen if I break the regulations?

You are putting lives at risk and breaking the law. Gas safety is taken very seriously by the Health and Safety Executive and they will take the appropriate action to ensure compliance with the regulations; this could result in a substantial fine and/or prison sentence.