Private landlord Licensing Gallows Corner


Private landlord Licensing Gallows Corner

Here at LS Property Certificates we thought it may be helpful to our clients if we could offer some guidelines as to the requirements that they may need in the Boroughs that we cover. As we expand the areas in which we operate we will endeavour to update our guidelines.

What do landlords need to do in order to get a license?

If you’re required to get a landlord license, you will need to apply for a license via your local council. Just to clarify, that’s ONE license per property, but some boroughs have been generous enough to offer bulk rates. Amazing!

If you’re unsure whether you’re subject to the scheme, again, just ask your local council or look on their website. If you’ve got the stomach for it, you could even ask your local letting agent. Whatever works.

Usually the person who is in control of the property (the person who receives the rent) makes the application and is the licence holder. This could be the owner or landlord, however it could also be a manager employed by the owner.

Once an application is submitted, it must be processed to determine whether or not you will be granted a licence. So in practise, yes, you could get rejected.

Each borough will have their own set of conditions, which the landlord must meet in order to be granted a license. Landlords are also expected to stick to certain conditions once the license is granted. There are also certain mandatory conditions which need to be addressed, which include the following:

  • A valid gas safety certificate, if gas is supplied to the house from a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • Electrical appliances and furniture (supplied under the tenancy) must be in safe condition
  • Smoke alarms must be in proper working order
  • The tenant must be supplied with a written statement of the terms of occupation
  • References must be demanded from persons wishing to occupy the house

Gas Safe registered engineers? | Private landlord Licensing  Gallows Corner

As a Gas Safe registered engineer we have  been checked to make sure they are competent and qualified to work safely and legally with gas.

Every gas engineer carries a Gas Safe Register ID card with their own unique licence number, showing the type of gas work they are qualified to do. Before any gas work is carried out, always make sure you ask to see their Gas Safe Register ID card.

You can order a Gas Safety Certificate with us today?

Contact our Private landlord Licensing team today >>

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) – From £40.00 >>

Do I need a Certificate for each rental property I own?

Yes. You need a Gas Safety Certificate per rental property. So if you have a portfolio of 12 properties, you will need a separate Gas Safety Certificate’s for each property.

What do I do with the Gas Safety Certificate?

You should keep the original copy of the certificate and provide your tenants a copy of these gas safety records within 28 days of the checks being done, new tenants should be issued a copy before they move in.

From October 2015, if landlords in England (not Wales) fail to provide their tenants with a valid Gas Safety Certificate, they will not be complying with the new Section 21 rules, therefore will not be able to serve a valid Section 21 notice. A landlord must serve a valid Section 21 notice tenants if they wish to legally terminate the tenancy, so it is crucial to comply with the legislation.

How often do I need to renew my gas safety inspection?

Gas Safety Certificate’s last for 12 months, so a safety check on all gas appliances need to be done annually.

You do not need a new Gas Safety Certificate for each time new tenants move in.

Which Gas Appliances should be checked?

Any gas appliance that the landlord supplies with the property MUST be safety checked. This includes appliances such as gas ovens, gas ovens, and hand held appliances that use gas.

If the tenant brings their own gas appliance into the property, it is not the landlords responsibility to ensure they are gas safe.

Do I need a Gas Safety Certificate?

Yes, if the property comes with gas appliances, it is the landlord’s legal obligation.

The Gas Safety Regulations 1998 place a statutory duty on all landlords of residential property to ensure that all gas appliances, pipe work and flues are maintained in a safe condition.

Landlord’s responsibility for Gas Safety

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities related to gas safety:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. All work must be serviced by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas Safety Checks/Certificates: an annual (12 monthly) gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue provided with the property. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use, and then supply a certificate.
  • Record: landlords must provide their tenant with a copy of the gas safety certificate within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in.

What is a Gas Safety Certificate?

A Gas safety Certificate, also commonly referred to as a Gas safety Record, is a document that confirms a Gas Safety check has been performed on gas appliances by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer in the property you are letting.

Private landlord Licensing Gallows Corner

Contact our Private landlord Licensing Gallows Corner team today >>

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) – From £40.00 >>

Visit Havering Council Landlords accreditation scheme web page >>

Contact us today for a free quotation

Call, James: 07429 332 109

Call, Renata: 07877 506 262

Head Office: 020 8508 6535


Registered Office: LS Property

LS Property Certificates House 24 Willingale Road, Loughton, Essex, IG10 2DB
Private landlord Licensing Gallows Corner | LS Property Certificates


LS Property Certificates | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions